Monday, September 10, 2012

Food for New Moms

During the first week of my baby's life, my parents came to help me out. I insisted that they would be taking care of me and I would be taking care of the baby. That week I slept four hours, yes only four hours the entire week.

Making time for eating was difficult to say the least and while my parents couldn't eat for me, they could at least cook for me. After they had to return to their jobs, I was left floundering for nutritious foods that didn't require a lot of prep time. (By the way, if you have a friend giving birth soon, an amazing gift would be a few simple homemade meals that just need heating.)

A lot of people turn to pasta when they're short on time and want a warm meal. It's simple and quick but are there any healthy pasta sauces out there that are actually tasty? Luckily, we received some Dave's Gourmet Organic pasta sauces made with heirloom tomatoes for tasting!

Food Maven Kathy G. took on the tough job of evaluating Dave's sauces and she found a winner: Dave's Gourmet Masala Marinara! The Masala Marinara takes classic marinara flavors with masala spices, lime, and coconut flavors. Food Maven Kathy G. reports:

The Masala Marinara is very well-balanced. The blend of spices is nearly perfect and there's a touch of sweetness that enhances the overall flavor. I would put it on chicken, fish, beef, pork, vegetables, pasta, or rice. The Masala would be a great go-to item to have in your pantry. It tastes homemade...it's that good!


While Dave's Butternut Squash sauce won the New York Fancy Foods show, Food Maven Kathy G. thought it was a great idea but overly sweet with a baby food texture. However, it is a best-seller so if you adore butternut squash and appreciate its nutritional benefits, you may decide to try it for yourself.

Overall, Dave's Gourmet sauces offer some impressive and innovative ways to give your favorite pasta a new flavor, which are organic and free of artificial preservatives:

  • Red Heirloom Tomato with fresh herbs and EVOO
  • Roasted Garlic & Sweet Basil
  • Wild Mushroom with porcini, crimini, shitake, and sherry
  • Spicy Red Heirloom with Brandywine and Marvel heirlooms and cayenne pepper
  • Butternut Squash with roasted red pepper
  • Masala Marinara

    P.S. This year, the Dave's Gourmet Recipe Contest winner was Curried Butternut Squash Dip. It is a refrigerated product that will have limited distribution. I will be checking it out.

  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

     

    Food and Wine Mavens Design by Insight © 2009