Saturday, September 29, 2012

Pumpkin Pie in a Glass

When I read Redwood Hill Farm's smoothie recipe for pumpkin pie in a glass, I was skeptical. Could a kefir smoothie really be as indulgent as a slice of pumpkin pie? Ah pumpkin pie...that beautiful comfort food, soothing you when family's driving you crazy during Thanksgiving!

 I'm Russian so I grew up with kefir, I know kefir... Turns out I've never had one like RHF's. It's goat milk so there's a wonderful additional dimension of flavor. Also, this stuff is super creamy! You almost have to spoon it out of the bottle.   

I was very satiated emotionally and physically by this recipe (and I even skipped the sweetener). It was comforting like hot cocoa.  I will definitely make it again and all of the kefir smoothie recipes are so high in nutritional benefits that I will try them all. Next in line is the blueberry kefir smoothie and the Old Fashioned Brandied Pumpkin Pie by RHF's owner Jennifer Bice.



This week my Redwood Hill Farm & Creamery giveaway begins! You can win: an eco-friendly insulated tote bag (awesome for keeping groceries cold), a 1gig USB key, 2 32-oz bottles of Redwood Hill Farm Kefir, 6 6-oz cups Redwood Hill Farm Goat yogurts, and more. ($75 value package) For those of you that need the lactose-free yummies, just note that and you'll win the Green Valley kefir and yogurt. Comment on my Facebook page if you're in!
Pumpkin Pie in the Sky Smoothie
  • 1/2 cup Redwood Hill Farm Plain Kefir or Green Valley Organics Plain Kefir
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice or cider
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
  • 1/2 medium fresh or frozen banana or 2 pitted dates
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
  • 2 Tbs. sweetener of choice (we like maple syrup)
  • 1/2 to 1 tsp. ground cinnamon (to taste)
  • 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (optional)
  • 1/2 cup ice cubes (adjust to reach desired consistency)

Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
Makes one smoothie (approx. 10 oz.)



No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Food and Wine Mavens Design by Insight © 2009